We provide efficient care and diligent aftercare
Wisdom teeth extraction can be unavoidable. But there is a silver lining: wisdom teeth removal means no more intense pain, discomfort and other issues problematic teeth can cause. By eliminating wisdom teeth, you are effectively eliminating the risk of severe complications. And if removal is necessary, there is no better person for the job than Dr. Tsvetov, before, during and after the extraction.
Feeling nervous about your upcoming appointment? There is no reason to be. You are in the hands of an experienced, Board-certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon with an outstanding commitment to comprehensive patient care and a caring bedside manner. We are here to help ensure your recovery process after post wisdom teeth extraction at our office in Temecula goes smoothly. If you have any questions or concerns, we are readily available to address them.
The professional follow-up you need to return to normal fast
Dr. Tsvetov performs complex wisdom teeth extractions in Temecula, as well as other complex surgical procedures, which makes him the safest choice for patients struggling with problematic wisdom teeth in the Temecula region. He is also available for emergency appointments and ready to address your concerns, dispel your doubts and answer your questions. We are as diligent about follow-up and aftercare as we are about preparation for the procedure and the procedure itself. In the event of complications or even suspected complications, do not hesitate to contact us immediately.
Benefits of quality care post wisdom teeth extraction
The comprehensive approach to patient care
Not everyone gets wisdom teeth, let alone problematic wisdom teeth. But many patients do and extraction is their best course of action. Seeing a general dentist or oral surgeon for an evaluation of the state and health of your wisdom teeth, especially one that is as caring and considerate as Dr. Tsvetov, can spare you much pain and hassle. The consultation enables Dr. Tsvetov to perform an accurate evaluation, reach the right diagnosis, and give patients realistic expectations with a focus on recovery and aftercare. It consists of:
- Free panoramic imaging & CT scans
- Comprehensive examination
- Reviewing the patient’s dental & medical history
- Discussing other conditions or medication regimens
- Addressing questions and concerns
- Going over pain management options
- Explaining the aftercare protocol
Expert guidance to ensure your optimal recovery
Experiencing a degree of discomfort after a wisdom tooth extraction is perfectly normal and typically dissipates within 3-4 days, but if you are uncertain about any aspect of your recovery and healing process, do not hesitate to contact us immediately. At our Temecula practice, we follow through and follow-up is an integral part of the wisdom teeth extractions we perform. We want to make sure you make a full recovery as rapidly and smoothly as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
The duration of recovery from a surgical impacted wisdom teeth extraction procedure in Temecula depends on individual factors and circumstances, but most people make a full recovery within 3-4 days. Many return to work or school the following day, although they may need to follow the aftercare protocol for several days longer.
You may need to limit talking to avoid reinitiating bleeding and dislodging the blood clot which has formed at the extraction site following wisdom tooth removal as part of the healing process. However, that does not mean you should avoid opening your mouth altogether.
Many patients avoid opening their mouths fully after the procedure because it can be uncomfortable. But this is counterproductive, as it may cause the muscles to become stiff and lead to lockjaw, which can be painful and lead to complications.
It normally takes patients approximately 3-4 days to recover from the procedure. Most patients report that the second day following surgery is the worst in terms of swelling and discomfort. If you follow our instructions diligently, you can feel confident that there is nothing to be concerned about.
You will need to avoid brushing, flossing, and rinsing your mouth during the first 24 hours and brush with care for several days afterward, making sure to avoid the extraction site.
We will use our in-depth knowledge and available resources to optimize your safety and convenience during the procedure. But what happens after that?
It may take a few days before you can return to normal. During this initial period of recovery, you will need to be careful so as not to disrupt the healing process. Dr. Tsvetov will go over the typical symptoms you may experience following the extraction and instruct you on how best to manage discomfort.
As your oral surgeon, Dr. Tsvetov will give you personalized and detailed post-wisdom tooth extraction surgery instructions, but the key talking points are these:
- Use antibiotics or other prescription medications for pain, swelling, inflammation, and nausea. Make sure to finish the whole course of antibiotics that was prescribed to you. Once the level of discomfort becomes manageable, you can switch to O-T-C medications.
- Numbness of the lower lip, chin and/or tongue due to longer-acting anesthetics is normal and it can last up to 8 hours. If it lasts longer than that and continues the following day, contact your doctor.
- You will need to bite on a piece of gauze on the extraction site on one or both sides of the mouth, depending on how many wisdom teeth you have had removed. Replace gauze at home at regular 30-minute intervals, as the pressure helps to reduce, slow down and ultimately stops bleeding.
- Swelling is normal. It usually goes up for 2 to 5 days before it begins to get better. To minimize or avoid swelling immediately after the surgery, applying ice or cold compresses helps.
- Sleeping elevated can help minimize swelling and prevent fluid accumulation at the extraction site.
- Albeit opening your mouth fully can be uncomfortable in the aftermath of the procedure, it is important to do so in order to avoid making the muscles too stiff, as this can lead to lockjaw.
- Stick to soft foods such as scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, mashed potatoes, ice-cream, and milkshakes and steer clear of hot, crunchy and spicy foods. Avoid drinking through a straw for the first 24 hours. Within a few days, you can slowly and carefully begin to transition back to harder food. Avoid drinking alcohol and smoking for several days.
- Avoid strenuous activities for a few days.
- Rinse the extraction site gently to reduce soreness and inflammation
Maintaining regular dental appointments is the safest way to identify problematic wisdom teeth, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic and intercept complications early on. Whichever intervention you need, Dr. Tsvetov can advise you on your safest course of action, in the interest of your best interest and optimal treatment outcome.
We also provide individualized post-operative instructions to each patient. Following these instructions carefully helps to avoid complications such as delayed healing, infections, post-operative numbness or tingling, damage to the sensory nerve, sinus communication, and the notorious dry sockets.
If complications do arise, we will be there for you, ready to address them quickly and efficiently to restore your comfort and peace of mind. We can also perform wisdom teeth extractions for orthodontic reasons in Temecula quickly and efficiently. Whether you are in pain or simply need more information, feel free to give our office a call!